• question-icon

What causes headache, neck pain, chills and fever?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Slight headache, neck ache ( mostly in back), some chills (even on a warm day but way more so in a very cool area like a supermarket), skin feels slightly warm to touch. Otherwise I am carrying on normal activities, even working out. Felt this way yesterday and today. Male, 64, good physical condition, taking no medications. Both wife and I had colds with much coughing and runny noses for several weeks while our kitchen was being renovated. That was a few weeks ago. Wife went to doctor who thought it was allergies.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible Diagnosis:Meningitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

The constellation of symptoms like headache, neck pain ,chills and fever raises the concern of meningitis.
Meningitis is the infection of meninges, which is the covering of brain.
Physical examination, blood count, blood culture, cerebrospinal fluid analysis and culture are warranted at this point.
It is very important to confirm or rule out meningitis as soon as possible.Early Initiation of treatment with antibiotics is essential for good prognosis.

Please be advised to follow up with the nearest emergency room .

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal