Suggest tests to detect Alzheimer's disease
Several tests as follows.
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic.
First step when evaluating Lazheimer's is neuropsychological testing, sort of questionnaires addressing different cognitive functions administered by neuropsychologists usually. They are necessary to determine if there is a real impairment of cognitive functions and if yes which areas are more affected (as that will orient the diagnosis on whether it's Alzheimer's or other types of dementia).
Afterwards brain imaging with preferably MRI and some routine blood tests including thyroid function and vitamin B12 levels are the standard tests. They are done to exclude other causes such as tumor, stroke, hydrocephalus, thyroid or vitamin B12 deficiency which can all cause dementia. The MRI might also show some changes in the brain in certain areas which would support Alzheimer's but it's not diagnostic, only enforces the diagnosis.
Whether to have other tests at this point depends on the patient and the center where he's evaluated. If all findings fit, in most centers no more tests are done. However in some major research hospitals or when findings are inconclusive suspecting other types of dementia, some more specialized tests may be done such as lumbar puncture (to check for cerebrospinal fluid levels of protein tau and amyloid) and PET scan may be done.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Solian alzheimer's disease
- Risperdal for alzheimer's disease
- New drug for alzheimer's disease
- Dietary guidelines for alzheimer's disease
- Diagnostic criteria for alzheimer's disease
- Does ct scan report suggest alzheimers disease
- Drug treatments for alzheimer's disease
- Donepezil aricept for alzheimer's disease
- Latest treatment for alzheimer's disease
- Bexarotene for alzheimer's disease
- What causes microvascular ischemic disease?
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches
- Can Lipitor cause brain damage?
- What causes severe migraine while on Cymbalta and Xanax?
- What are the signs and symptoms of brain aneurysm?
- What does intense pain in the temple suggest?
- What causes intense fatigue, tingling sensation in the feet and leg pain?
- What causes agitation and inappropriate sexual behavior while having...
- Suggest remedies for muscle pain, dizziness and constipation when...
- Can stress cause cyanotic discoloration on the extremities?