What causes headache and eye strain?
I have headache and eye strain from last 6 months, I consulted neurologist, they said its tension type headache. I have done plain CT SCAN, which is normal a year back. I can not stare laptop for long hours. I consulted eye specialist, they said I have dry eye problem and have +0.25, +0.25 point. I am wearing spectacles but nothing helping me much. If I sleep well I feel good but as my day progresses, I start feeling headache and strain and pain around my eyes. If I don't wear my spectacles, I can not stare at TV, Laptop, smart phone more than half an hour. Does just +0.25, +0.25 point cause so much problem. Can you please help me in this regard. Also one concern I have is, I had small hits on my head 2 times around 5 months and a year back, which were normal hits. Does minor hits on head cause any problem after passing 7-8 months.
Ophthalmologist opinion should be considered
Most headaches in general practice are ordinary tension headaches [unless proved otherwise].
PS. Tension headaches is more towards evening and patient feels better on pressing over the scalp, but as routine one must test the following signs:
1. Check blood pressure
2. Check sinus tenderness over frontal and maxillary sinuses, and look for any focus of infection in teeth, tonsils & ears.
3. Check tenderness on nape of neck or pain on neck movements
B. If headache is recurrent & chronic:
1. Check eye sight first [dry eye problem is there]
2. Check with blood pressure, sinus tenderness & spondylitis
3. If it has started following Head Injury? [CT Head was normal thus can be excluded]
4. If there is any neurological sign as weakness of cranial nerves or limbs? [Neurologist’s opinion is Normal thus can be excluded]
PS. Young patient complaining of repeated headaches will usually have refractive error, particularly cylindrical numbers even when very minor, give rise to headaches.
C. Try getting a second opinion from an ophthalmologist doctor regarding your vision problem, in between incorporate:
. Apply garlic pod paste on forehead.
. Put 4-5 drops of lime juice into opposite side nostril
. sesame oil : 300 ml
XXXXXXX [camphor], XXXXXXX [sandalwood], dalchini [ each 10 gm :put the mixture in air tight bottle and use for massage.
Dr. Munish sood
Consultant & Physician