What causes green colored stools?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
My son is about 2 months old 15 days back his poo oturned greenish with Spit like substance.I saw doctor who said it may be an infection because of feeding bottle he gave enterogermina,Colimax,emset,amikacin,iso-p but I observed no change.then we saw another doctor.
.he gave him flox drops . Now his poo has turned loose greenish and seedy, please suggest what is wrong. He has little cold also.
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Green stools does not always means infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms XXXXXXX

I would require additional information for me to be able to guide you further

1. Is the baby on exclusive top feeds or you are also giving breast feeding along with bottle feeds?

2. Is there any blood in stools?

3. Is there any distension of abdomen?

4. are the feeds adequate?

Green stools does not always mean infection. Many of babies will often have passage of green stools. In the absence of other symptoms like distension of abdomen, loose stools there is no cause for concern.

Take Care

Best regards
Dr Deepak Kishore
MBBS,MS,MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: What causes green colored stools? 26 minutes later
Dear sir, he is on lactogen as well as my breast milk since its not adequate. Also do u mean abdominal cramps? Initially yes, but doctor suggested colicaid now i guess he is not in pain because he doesn't cry but Many times I feel he behaves as if putting lot of pressure . also the motions are loose with yellow seeds like and come out with fart like noise. I m worried if the medicines are causing loose stools as side effects since he is only 2 month old. Before the treatment there were no loose stools only mucous.
There is no blood in stools, I guess feeds r adequate since he is gaining weight ,. What is distension kindly brief
No there is No visible distension sir

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop all antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Ms XXXXXXX

Yellow seed like stools is very much normal appearance of stools. Loose stools is likely to be due to antibiotics been given. Antibiotics destroy the normal good commensal bacteria in colon and may cause loose stools.

I would suggest you to stop all the medication and antibiotics. It would be help if you could switch to exclusive breast feeding.

One possible reason for green stools is that your baby is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. The hindmilk provides most of the calories your baby needs, and makes him feel full. If he's only getting the lower-fat foremilk, he'll be hungry again very soon and will need to feed more often.

His body may not be able to cope with the increased amount of lactose (milk sugar) from all the milk he is drinking.

If he can't digest the increased amount of lactose properly, there will be more gas and water than usual in his intestines. This will give him cramping pains and runnier, green (often explosive) stools.

Your baby could be getting too much foremilk if:
he does not latch on properly: You can correct the way your baby feeds by asking the help of a breastfeeding consultant or expert. Also see our visual guide to breastfeeding to know what latching on should look like.
you move him from one breast to the other before he lets go on his own: Make sure that you let your baby feed for as long as he likes. Do not take him off the breast before he lets go on his own. This way you will be sure he is getting as much milk as he needs and plenty of hindmilk as well.
Consistently green stools could also be a warning that your baby is sensitive to something he is eating. What he is sensitive to could be in your milk from medication you are on or something you have eaten.

Do write to me directly for any assistance anytime

Take Care

Deepak

Follow-up: What causes green colored stools? 28 minutes later
Thank you for the reply sir, it was quite useful though i have some doubt's. I will try to breastfeed him as much as possible . but as of now is there a way to correct the loose motions , is enterogermina recommended. also apart from antibiotics, can catching a cold be also reason for loose motions, he has nose congestion and sneezes also.
Also I had taken iron supplement some days back

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue Enterogermina

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear XXXXXXX

You continue taking Iron and Calcium supplement, that should be beneficial to your baby and will not cause loose stools.
Upper respiratory infection will not cause loose stools
Enterogermina is a Probiotic and will control loose stools. Continue giving it for next couple of days . Also give Zinc syrup to him for couple of days, Zn 20 2 ml twice daily for 2 days.
I would also suggest you the following to increase your milk output

1. Tablet Lactare 2 capsules thrice a day

2. Iron and Calcium supplement

3. Following recipe will be helpful to increase your milk output

Ingredients: Khajur ( 50gm ), almond ( 50 gm ), pista ( 50 gms ), cardamom * 6, milk, Whole wheat flour ( Atta ), ghee

Finely powder mixture of almond, khajur, cardomom and pista.

In a frying pan add 2 spoon of ghee and add 2 spoon of Atta. Fry it till golden brown. To this add 2 cups of milk and slowly heat in low flame. Add the powdered mixture. Stir it.
You can supplement your breakfast and evening snacks with this.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak

Follow-up: What causes green colored stools? 17 minutes later
OK sir I will geT Back to u ,lastly overall what do you think I should worry, I hope the case is otherwise not serious?

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

It is definitely not serious and nothing to worry about it

Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life.

Best regards
Dr Deepak