What causes gastrointestinal bleeding in a chain smoker?

Posted on Fri, 12 May 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Is having very little food in your stomach (eating only one small meal a day, 11pm-2am), drinking only NA beer, regular beer & cola's constantly all day & smoking SEVERAL cigarettes; all day & every day, all causes for GI bleeding ? Also does, having drank a large amount of alcohol in the past, still play a part in this ? She has had the eating Disorder all of her life. I do know that is extremely had to change, if not impossible. She is 71 yrs. old. Will you shed some light on this for me? Please. Concerned friend. Thank you!
.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I'm sorry your friend is so sick.

A number of the lifestyle and medical problems that you described can increase the risk of developing stomach ulcers. And if severe, these can perforate and bleed.

Drinking alcohol can directly irritate the stomach lining. Doing so without food can increase this effect.

Taking NSAID pain killers or aspirin can be directly damaging to the stomach lining. NSAIDs include ibuprofen, naproxen. There are other medications that can cause harm to the stomach lining too, but NSAIDs are one of the most likely of medications that can be harmful.

Tobacco, either smoked or chewed, can increase acid can increase the risk.

Any serious illness can increase the risk too, due to factors such as stress, malnutrition, and abnormalities in immune function and clotting factors.

If she has chronic liver disease due to a past of heavy drinking, this can increase the risk of bleeding.

There are other factors, such as infection with the bacteria Helicobacter pylori, and sometimes stomach tumors that produce excessive amounts of acid, which can lead to stomach ulcers.

An eating disorder that causes malnutrition will stress the body and can contribute to many pathologies.

Again, I am so sorry your friend is so sick. It is hard to see a friend suffering.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh