What causes frequent urination and excessive thirst?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi
Since last few weeks there has been rapid increase in my frequency of my urination, I feel more thirsty and drink lots of water .I have stopped taking sugar thinking I am diabetic.
I have lost around 5 Kgs in three months but that can be due to work related stress and mild excising that I have been doing.
Also mostly when I urinate I see small ants gathering around the place where I urinate.
My mouth has a sweet taste now..Also Whenever I have something sweet I think that my blood sugar levels are High but that is more due to anxiety I believe.Also I feel week during the end of the day.. in the evening while returning from office my eyes tend to get heavy (No serious problems Though -can be due to looking at screen for longer duration)
Request you to let me know the tests that should be done and what can the symptoms be indicating to.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Investigations are described below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, I would like to advise that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated.

Following investigations are helpful:-
1. Blood sugar levels ( Fasting and post prandial ).
2. HbA1C.
3. Serum electrolytes.
4. Urine examination.
5. Refraction of eyes.

More can be commented after knowing the reports of the above mentioned Investigations.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 2 days later
Had some of the tests done the reports are as follows:-

blood sugar fasting- 298
sodium-136.3
pottasium-3.47
chloride 98.7

Estimation of HBA1C- report-13.6

urine examination-Sugar present.

Could not get a after breakfast test done,

Since from report is pretty clear that I am diabetic..please suggest how to proceed for treatment now.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
medical management plan is described below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing more information.

After going through your reports, it is clear that you are having diabetes(Fasting Blood Sugar is 298 anf HbA1C is 13.6).
I would suggest that you should get yourself clinically examined.

I would like to advise that you can take oral anti diabetics like Glimepiride 1 mg with breakfast and Metformin 500mg twice daily along with breakfast and dinner. Dose can be adjusted after repeating fasting blood sugar levels after 15 days.
You should follow a diabetic diet which includes avoiding sugar rich foods and drinks.
Regular exercise is also beneficial.

Since your blood sugar levels is very high, I would advise that a clinical evaluation is necessary.

Following investigations will help to know whether any harmful effects of diabetes have occurred on different body parts:-
1. Kidney Function Test ( KFT ).
2. Fundus examination of eyes.

You should get your fasting blood sugar levels checked regularly.

I hope this answers your query.
If you have any further doubts, please mention.
Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 6 minutes later
Thanks doctor just wanted to know briefly which foods to avoid apart from sugar n sugarich foods n drinks..are fruits n juices also to be avoided. Also can sugar free things available inarket be used
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
carbohydrate rich foods are to be avoided.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your response.

Following common carbohydrate rich foods are to be avoided:-
Rice, potato, sweet potato, colocasia, etc.
Sweetened fruit juices are to be avoided.

I would also advise that you should eat small meals at shorter intervals instead of 3 large meals.

I hope this answers your query.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 2 days later
Hi Doc,
I visited a general Physician. He took by glucose levels on the spot with a glucometer and it was 277 , BP was normal.
He put me on Tabets Glimisave and Janumet twice a day morning and evening.
Told me to check my sugar levels daily and start the medicine for a month and avoid certain foods.He also told me that the blood sugar levels will be high for the week and will reduce slowly
Today after 1 day of medication sugar levels were 237 , 3 hours after lunch.
Now my frequency of urination has decreased sharply and the thirst is also not there which used to be till last week.
The Urine is also Yellowish Kind. Is it the effect of medicine or something else.
Otherwise I have no major problems I am feeling okay No major discomforts..
Please suggest ..wanted an opinion if the treatment is on the right path..
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with the treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

Thanks for providing more information.
The medicines prescribed by your doctor contains the composition I have prescribed, so I would advise that you should continue with the treatment advised.

Improvement in your symptoms are due to effect of the medicines. Do get your blood sugar levels checked regularly.

I hope this answers your query.
Thanks.