What causes frequent heartburn?

Posted on Wed, 18 Jan 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My 21 year old son has had severe frequent heartburn for at least one year. It seems to worsen when he is anxious. He has frequent bowel movements. Just reported he thinks he has a hemoroid because there is some blood when he poops and it is sore. He's tired all the time, says he feels like he can't get enough sleep. Could all be unrelated I realize, but also not? Do the symptoms pop out as something he should be checked for? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anal fissure vs hemorrhoids and stress related hyperacidity

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern for your son's health.
Here he has two different symptoms.
1) Heartburn might be due to hyperacidity i.e. more acid production in stomach. Stress is most common cause for this.
2) This can be treated with anti-acidity group of medications.
3) Blood on poop might be due to anal fissure not hemorrhoids as bleeding occurs only in large hemorrhoids which can be palpated by finger. Anal fissure also cause pain around anus.
4) Simple physical examination by general surgeon can differentiate these two condition. Treatment for hemorrhoids is surgery only. Treatment for anal fissure is medical treatment which consist of medication for pain, stool softener or laxative, ointment of anesthetic substance for local application.

Hope I answered your query. If you have further doubts, I would be happy to help you.
Have a good day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical