What causes folate deficiency?

Posted on Tue, 8 Nov 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: What is folate deficiency and what are the symptoms? Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Folate def causes anemia which causes tiredness, palor, breathlessness, etc

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Folate or folic acid is micro-nutrient required for synthesis of DNA of all cells of the body.
Folate deficiency manifests with anemia because it affects the red blood cells primarily. It manifest predominantly with tiredness, lethargy, palor of skin, breathlessness, decreased alertness etc.

Folate is present in green leafy vegetables and it is destroyed on cooking.
Thus, raw vegetables and fruits should be taken to fulfill the folate requirement.
In case of deficiency, folic acid supplements are required.

In case you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Thanks
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist