What causes fever while on treatment for TB?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: my sister was diagonised with tuberculosis lymphadenitis by FNAC, initially she had fatigue, after 20 days of treatment she has low grade fever at night, please advise she is on AKT-4, four in the morning
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Is she having cough?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Myself Dr. Kaushal bhavsar. I am pulmonologist and I deals with tb patients daily.
Lymphadenopathy due to tuberculosis is very common problem.
In her case, I want to know few more things first.
So let me know
1. What is the nature of fever? Is it high grade or low grade? Is it continuous or intermittent? Is it associated with chills?
2. Is she having cough?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your sister. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 59 minutes later
There is no cough
the fever is low grade fever, and usually happens in the night or late evenings, and she says, she has burning sensation in the stomach(happened once or twice)
she's been a ectomorph all her life, i remember her weight for the last three years is of 44.5 and now after treatment has gone a little better with 45.4 her height is 5'0"
i am sorry i missed on some things, she has low grade fever, inttermittent, once in 2- 3 days and has no chills, as she sleeps with fan on in her room
please advise

how worrisome is this?

thank you for your time and concern
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry for this fever?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I forgot to ask you about site of lymphnode.
Is it cervical lymphnode?
Was it single lymphnode? Or matted nodes?
Did you measured the fever?
No need to worry much for fever.
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 minutes later
the FNAC statement reports of FNAC of right cervical lymph node, yes it is single lymphnode, we haven't measured the fever, we visited our family physican, he advised toincrease liquid intake, and has named some antibiotics , may be to subsidise fever

please guide

thank you
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to take antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
So she is having single cervical lymphnode.
No need to worry for fever.
No need to take extra antibiotic.
Please let me know
1. Which antibiotic she was prescribed by your family physician?
2. Along with AKT 4,which other drugs she is taking?
3. Is she taking AKT 4 on empty stomach?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you further about her abdominal pain and burning sensation in stonach.
I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your sister. Thanks.