What causes fever, high blood pressure, headache, lower back pain and diarrhea?

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have 101.4 temperature, 90 - 111 heart rate and slightly elevated blood pressure 159 / 93 (120 / 70 normal). I have been sweating quite a bit and also have a headache, slight lower back pain, diarrhea and slight aching. I have been experiencing these symptoms for 36 hours.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probable bacterial infectious state

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question. Welcome to HCM. I understand your concern.

Well, this looks as a plain bacterial infection, probably a bacterial infection that is situated in the alimentary tract, because of the presence of diarrhoea. You see, this is an acute inflammation state of the organism and all the other symptoms, complaints and signs, such as slightly elevated heart rate and blood pressure, are due to the counterreaction of the organism and due to fever. I would recommend you to visit your general practitioner or an infection disease emergency room, as soon as possible, so antibiotics can be perscribed to you. As soon the antibiotherapy is finished and the fever has gone to normal, the heart rate and blood pressure should be checked again, just to make sure that this elevation was due to acute inflammatory state of the organism.

I hope I was helpful. If you have follow-up question(s), I would be happy to help.

Kind regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj