• question-icon

What causes fever and burning sensation during urination?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Thursday I developed what I thought was a fever all the symptoms I associate with a fever were present. However, it burned when I urinated. It wasn't very painful just a burning sensation and I didn't urinate very much. Friday morning when I woke up I felt much better. Later I the morning there was a stronger burning sensation and my urine was a dark brownish-red with a strong sweet smell. This was about 7:30 by 11:00 I was feeling feverish again. I started to drink orange juice, apple juice, and water after the 7:30 event. By the time I returned home my urine was clear to slightly yellow in appearance. By the time I got home I was feeling much better. I kept drinking the same as before and my urine remained clear. This morning my urine is golden again but without the burning sensation. I havent been hungry since Friday morning when I ate a Rice Krispies bar. I do not know if you need this info: I am a white male, 51 about 300 pounds.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible kidney infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The combination of urinary symptoms with fever and nausea or decreased appetite can be signs of a kidney infection. It may be that increasing your fluid intake helped but the infection may still be there.

Sometimes kidney infections (pyelonephritis) can be caused by stones somewhere in the urinary tract/kidneys, but infection can happen for other reasons as well.

Even if some of the symptoms have cleared up, the fact that you still don't have much of an appetite makes me think something is still brewing.

I recommend you go in to an urgent care clinic that has lab and X-ray on site. They should get look at a urine specimen with a "dipstick" urine test while you are there, and then send it to the lab for a "culture and sensitivity test" to see if anything grows, and which antibiotics it is most sensitive to. Depending on your exam and dip urine test, they may also want to get an X-ray (KUB - kidneys ureters and bladder) which can show if there is a calcium stone along the tract. They may want to give you an antibiotic as well if they have a high suspicion of pyelonephritis.

Given the sweet smell, they should look at the dip urine test for sugar. A blood test for serum glucose level may be useful too.

So do go in to be seen and don't wait. I hope this information helps. If you are willing, please let me know how you are doing after you have been evaluated.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh