What causes fever along with soreness in neck, shoulders and back?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my 20 year old son is complaining of a fever and sore neck shoulders and back. It just came on him today. Ive heard of these symptoms and am worried it's not just a cold becasue of the location of the pain, headache, and fever.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic treatment advised. Wait and see for spontaneous resolution

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Fever is a symptom and is always due to some focus in the body. A sore throat to infected toe with thousand of possibilities in between are there to cause fever.

Your son's sore shoulder and neck muscles with fever is quite common and may occur even in a mere cold and flu due to post nasal dripping causing sore throat.

Just give your son son ibuprofen and do cold sponging and wait and see. If the fever persists for 48 hours get the labs done and consult an internist to locate focus of infection causing fever and manage accordingly. I am sure a few NSAIDs will resolve the fever and it wont come to a visit.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan