What causes false positive for Nicotine in a drug screening test?
Go for confirmatory tests.
Welcome to Healthcare Magic!
It is not unusual for people to falsely test positive for nicotine in screening tests. It is also well-known that environmental exposure including passive smoking can cause false positive results in screening tests. To confirm whether the result was false or not, you have the option of going for confirmatory tests. The gold standard for detecting nicotine or cotinine is Gas chromatography/ mass spectrophotometry (GC/MS). It is a more expensive test than the one used in screening, and therefore is not performed routinely.
In my opinion, you should call up the insurance company and ask them for a confirmatory test. They can arrange for the test themselves or otherwise, let you know how you can get it done yourself. I expect this will take care of your problem.
Dr Preeti Parakh
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does nicotine cause the shakes
- Can nicotine cause hypoglycemia
- Does nicotine cause gout
- Nicotine patch cause bruising
- Does colestoff cause positive nicotine in urine
- Can kalms cause a false positive on a drug test
- What causes false positive methamphetimines in a drug test
- Does nicorette cause false positive on a drug test
- Nicotine lozenges cause hemorrhoids
- Does atripla cause false positives in drug tests?