Would smoking consistently for 3 years lead to lung cancer?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in Cancer
Question: what are my chances of lung cancer if I smoked half a pack a day from 19-25 years of age and then quit? I'm 29 now and haven't smoked in 3 years
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
low possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern

I congratulate you for having stopped smoking. This is the first and the most difficult step.

According to the history and my experience this is a relatively short time of smoking.In your condition i think that hereditary is more important for you and lung cancer.Another causative agent of lung cancer is the environment the dust in it.

Avoid passive smoking too whis has the same possibility to cause lung cancer.

So try to do a healthy lifestyle now and your chances for lung cancer are low.

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 37 minutes later
how low do you think they are? I read that if you stop smoking before 30, your lung cancer risk will be reduced by 90% is that true?

also, hypothetically, if I did get it, when do you think that will be? 40s? 50s? 60s? 70s?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continua discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Yes exactly this is true

If you get it the most usual age is after the 60s however this is not definitively because during the lifetime there are other factors that may interfere with the genotip (ADN) and may change the chances. Fortunately we can not predict it

Hope to have been helpful

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 15 minutes later
well if my chance is reduced by 90% I feel great! you don't think I will get it tho in the next 10 years?

Also, do you believe the idea that you can starve cancer through diet?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes i think you will not get it in 10 years

No i don't think that lung cancer can be starved by the diet.There are no scientific studies regarding this idea.

Dr.Jolanda