What causes extreme stomach bloating along with water retention?
Please provide more information
Hello Ms. XXXXXXX
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Water overload and swelling can be due to several causes.
Please let me have the details of your health conditions and the medicines you are on to give you my opinion.
Restart Synthyroid asap
You have hypothyroidism which produces myxedema and swelling of the body. You should restart your medicines asap.
The other usual causes are kidney or liver problem with low blood albumin and heart diseases producing decreased pumping action and back pressure in the veins.
It would be better to see a doctor and have yourself examined and tested to see if you have any of these problems. Till you are able to do that the following would help. Restrict salt and fluids and restart your Synthroid. If the swelling is not responding or you have any breathing difficulty, you could take a diuretic to get rid of the retained water.
Do get back to me if you have any further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Stomach bloating causes
- Stomach bloating caused by flucloxacillin
- Cancers that cause stomach bloat
- Toddler stomach bloating causes
- What causes severe stomach bloating
- What causes stomach bloating symptoms
- Causes of severe stomach bloating
- Laxatives cause stomach bloating
- What causes upper stomach bloating
- Causes of stomach bloating in an afternoon