What causes extreme itchy skin in armpits and slight swelling?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have extreme itchy skin in my armpits and slight swelling. It has been occurring for several years, along with skin rashes across my chest that come and go. I have eliminated possible skin allergies to deodorant etc. I have had two dermatologists and an allergist examine me. The allergist had me go through allergy shots and all gave me cortisone cream to treat itchy areas. Itching episodes have become more frequent, and I am often fatigued. After my allergy shots I experienced anaphylaxis three times. Known allergy now to ibuprofen. I have night sweats, hot flashes, and last week my right face swelled for no reason. The itching has become unbearable and am frustrated with it. I am an otherwise, healthy but very busy 48 yo in the dental field. My last resort was to start trying to find answers to help me deal with these symptoms and get an answer. I work out regularly, and drink occasionally. I have been under extreme stress the last two years. Any thoughts??
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection, hormonal changes, diabetes to look for

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I have gone through your medical history carefully, and understood your concerns.

So far, you are reporting to be using anti itching medications while allergies are under control.

As you are saying to :
- be busy and under stress
- sweat alot

At this point, if I was your caring doctor would advise to run examination of skin scrapping to exclude fungal infection.

Next, diabetes testing advised to rule it out.

Feeling hot is also related to hormonal changes at your actual age (pre / menopause ).
A full hormonal balance is advised as it could be also another possible cause.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana