What causes excessive sleepiness in a person?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hey Doc,

I am sleeping too much since last 10-15 days. Please give me solution.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send details of your symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Excessive sleepiness is normal in young age. Normal sleeping hours an be between 6-10 hrs per day and a nap in afternoon is also normal.

If you still think that its excessive for you, please send details like how many hours do you sleep, any other symptoms, any medicine intake, etc.

Have you done any blood tests recently? If yes, please upload the reports so that I am better able to help.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 minutes later

Thank you for your reply.

I am not taking any medicine and have not blood test.

I feel sleepy all the day even after sleep of 8 hour in night. On last weekend, I slept 15-16 hours per day. Because of this I am worried now.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Change lifestyle for now

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

It is very common to sleep so many hours at your age. Because of excessive activity and physiological changes, body may demand rest for prolonged hours.

Still I will the advise the following:

- Take healthy, hygienic, fresh food. Take more of fruits and salad to get natural sources of vitamins. Drink cleaner water from RO system. This will avoid any water borne infections. Take 3 meals and 2-3 small snacks in a day. Avoid overeating at any time.

- Avoid rotten, stale, bitter, spicy foods. Curd/yogurt/buttermilk can also cause one to sleep more. So try avoiding that.

-Exercise for atleast 20 min a day. Exercise an include gym, walk, yoga, swimming, cycling etc.

- If still the symptoms continue, then get basic blood tests done. Blood tests include complete blood count, liver function test, kidney function test, thyroid profile, serum B12 and vitamin D levels, calcium levels, typhoid test.

Hope it helps.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad