What causes blood in stool while recovering from Typhoid?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor, from past couple of days I have been observing blood in my stool. I am really concerned what I could do to stop it. Here is additional information for your consideration:
Colour of stool: Yellow
Frequency of stool: Once/Twice in a day
The stool is very hard and causes burning sensation when it is passed.

I have recently recovered from Typhoid about a week back and on no medicines currently. I have been eating Pista from few days - not sure if this has caused body heat and leading to hard stools.

Request you to kindly suggest what can be done to make the stool soft or prevent blood in stool and any diet considerations. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Evaluation needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. In your case there are two broad possibilities to consider. The first consideration would be intestinal ulcers from the typhoid. You would need to visit your doctor and get the probability discussed and evaluated. The next possibility is Piles or hemorrhoids is a disease which most often associated with constipation. To control piles you need to get rid of constipation. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. Green leafy vegetables and other sources of dietary fibers contribute roughage which for the bulk of stool. Unless fiber intake is adequate, the gastrointestinal movement will be hampered and piles will result.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Avoid red meat.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Take Sitz bath. In a big tumbler take water as hot as your skin can take. Sit on it with your anal opening dipped.
* Taking Daflon tablet 500mg every 4 hours for 3 days followed by once every 8 hours for next 4 days should help in resolution of the problem.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if I could help further.