What causes excessive period bleeding and swelling in lower abdomen?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I am 44 years old and I am on my 2nd day of my monthly cycle, today i am in a lot of pain and swelling in my lower abdomen area, my bleeding is very excessive and large clotting. I never have pain when with my cycle. It hurts to touch my lower abdomen on a 6 of 10 for pain. should i be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DO SEE A DOCTOR, COULD BE PERI MENOPAUSAL CHANGE

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
If you never have heavy bleeding or pain, and this is a first, yes you should be concerned.
However, not unduly.
Concerned in the sense that you should seek a diagnosis, and not in the sense of panic.
The commonest condition around 44 is mild hormonal imbalance that occurs around peri - menopause.
This leads to thickening of the endometrium ( lining of the uterus ),thus leading to irregular, heavy cycles.
Please consult a gynecologist for an internal exam - per vaginum and per speculum, and a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan to assess endometrial thickness and rule out conditions like fibroids, polyps etc.
Hormonal levels should be measured - FSH and LH to confirm peri menopause and TSH also.
Try taking a combination of tranexamic acid and mefenamic acid for the immediate pain and heavy bleeding.
Also, take a hot water bottle and rest for a while.
All the best to discuss further.