What causes elevated serum creatinine levels?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I am writing to ask if my wife may have the start of kidney disease, and if she needs to undertake further testing?
Her vitals over the last 18 months, after 5 blood tests, show the following: GFR levels have declined slowly from >60 to 50, albumin has declined slowly from 4.3 to 3.3, protein has declined from 6.8 to 5.8, creatinine has increased from 1.0 to 1.16, Bili has increased from .2 to .4
Her only medication is warfarin @ 6 mg daily. She resides in a wheelchair after hip surgery, but gets mobility exercises daily. Her blood pressure is always great XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need not be Chronic kidney disease

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

A small rise in serum creatinine does not always indicate chronic kidney disease and GFR is not a good marker to note the kidney function.
Here is how you should go about to know the chronicity

1. Re check the creatinine after good hydration
2. Get an ultrasound of the kidney to check the kidney size
3. Get urine routine done to see for protein loss. Sometimes warfarin has shown to cause loss of protein in urine
4. Check serum calcium, phosphorus and uric acid levels. Imbalance of these electrolytes are the most common in kidney disease

Kidney disease in patients with no apparent cause for Chronic kidney disease has to be investigated in detail, please approach your doctor with my suggestion

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 days later
As you suggested, I discussed the matter with the in-house Dr. He said he would do further testing in a few months, as he doesn't think the blood tests show any serious danger levels. He thinks when the creatinine gets above1.4 we have more serious concerns.
As always, thank you for your valuable comments and insights. I will continue to monitor and stay in contact with you as necessary. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 22 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for your kind words. You can always get back to me at anytime in the future