Is Avelox effective at treating sinus infection?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Never having a tendon tear from Avelox with frequent sinus infections ,but two recent hip replacements, would Avelox be fairly safe to take for a sinus infection, clindomycin is not helping and I am allergic to Pennicillen, Bactrian and other antibiotics- lots of mucus in chest that is difficult to get up- Can iI switch directly to Avelox from Clindomycin, taking a steroid dose pack. No improvement in 4 days,
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hip surgery is not a known cause of tendon injury with these meds

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The risk factors (reasons for increase chance of occurring) for tendon injury with avelox and similar medications are---(1) age greater than 60
(2)use of steroid meds
(3)kidney disease
(4)diabetes
(5)some transplant patients

Musculoskeletal disorders is also named as risk factor but this can mean previous tendon injury, history of other soft tissue injury, rheumatoid arthritis etc

The hip surgery is not a known reason for increasing the chance of tendon injury but the use of steroids and age over 60 are factors but you would have used it before with no problems.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions