What does this X-ray report indicate?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,
My grandfather aged 78 years had hip surgery as he fell and broke it while walking. Its been 45 days since the surgery and i have attached the xray taken today as per his surgeon's advice. Could you look at xray and let me know how what is his condition?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Re-surgery or wait and watch

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

When did he fall down?

I have viewed the attached xrays.

It appears that a new fracture has occurred through an area of weak bone.

Two options are available.

He can be on non weight bearing for another 8 weeks atleast and wait and watch for the fracture to heal.

Other option is to remove the implant and put a new plate and bone graft.

The bone appears very weak and needs therapy for Osteoporosis. Do get a DEXA Scan done.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later
New fracture is minor or major one? Will it heal on its own? Will he be able to walk on his own after 8 or 10 weeks as he is also suffering from dementia, bipolar mental conditions.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may give it a chance to heal

Detailed Answer:
It is a major fracture but it has occurred around the implant and has not damaged the implant.

Additional surgery may be done to engage the new fracture and help it to consolidate.

If chance is given for it to heal on its own it may take time to heal.

Better to give it a chance.