• question-icon

What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the fingertips?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: i'm periodicly feeling electrical shocks going down my arms to my finger tips, this just started about an hour ago
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Electric shocks or other similar intermittent abnormal sensations are usually related to abnormal function of the nerves that are responsible for that area.
Abnormal function of the nerves is called neuropathy

It can be temporary or permanent. It is different to determine , especially at the initial stages, which it would be.
The nerves that supply the arms would be coming through the spaces between the vertebra in the neck and pass through the shoulder joint into different areas of the arm and forearm.

The different possible causes are: (1)trauma to the nerves , this can occur if there is arthritis of the neck or shoulder or history of direct trauma to the nerves )(a fall or a wound)

(2) diabetes can damage nerves

(3)liver or kidney disease

(4)side effect of medication

(5)low vitamin b12 or low folate

(6)abnormal levels of vitamin b6

(7)abnormal thyroid function

(8)infection such as shingles

(9)exposure to toxins

It is possible that the symptoms are temporary but if they continue or worsen, you would need to see your doctor for an assessment .
This would include physical examination , x rays of neck and shoulder possibly and blood tests (kidney and liver function, diabetes screen , complete blood count, thyroid function tests)

There are medications that can help with neuropathy if the usual pain killers do not work.
These are amitrytiline, nortriptlyine, celexa,

Additional treatment would depend on the exact dianosis

I hope this helps, feel free to ask anyother questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 hours later
Thank you for all the information
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
HI

No problem, if there are any other queries can let me know
Dr. Michelle Gibson James