question-icon

What causes edema in ankles and feet?

Posted on Fri, 22 May 2015
Question: I have been fighting fatigue edema (ankle/foot swelling for over a year now. All cardio tests have come back normal so trying to find other culprits. Could thyroid issues be at play here? I have uploaded some thyroid tests for review. I realize I fall within normal ranges but could I still possibly benefit from supplementing with thyroid hormone?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
No benefit from thyroid hormone and it may harm

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted your concern. Your thyroid blood works looks good. I have noticed that you have thyroid nodules and the needle biopsy was normal. From the docror's notes i noticed about family history of thyrod cancer. Could you tell me what type of thyroid cancer was it? If it was medullary thyroid cancer, i strongly recommend you to get a blood test ( Serum Calcitonin) .

Since your thyroid blood works are normal, there is no need to supplement with thyroid hormone and that will not resolve the edema. Instraed, it may harm you if your thyroid hormone levels increase by hormone supplementation.

I would recommend you to get a serum creatinine, blood urea, liver function tests, Urine albumin, Serum calcium as additional tests so that we can search for causes of edema.

Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai (1 hour later)
I have attached some additional tests - do these cover the liver tests that you had recommended?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Liver functions normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the reply. Yes, that report include liver function test panel and your liver function tests are looking fantastic. No need to repeat that test now. Please get the rest of the tests which I mentioned.

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist