What causes dull pain in the throat while swallowing food?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: i have a dull pain when swallowing food, right side of XXXXXXX apple. comes and goes for about a week.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/45 - dull pain when swallowing food - right of Adam's Apple - comes and goes - about a week - not visited a Doctor - not taken any medications ...
Your history is indicative of some inflammation in the hypo-pharynx/ Epiglottis or the muscles making the lower part of the laryngopharyngeal area or cartilage.
Since it is one week that you having the problem, I would advise you to take an anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen in proper dosages if it suits you.
Take soft diet or chew very well before swallowing.
Consult an ENT if these measures fail to relieve the dull pain for actual examination and ENT endoscopy to see what exactly is the problem and you get a valid prescription for any additional medication like antibiotic or so as per the findings.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
What would cause this? I recall about a week ago eating cereal and I turned my head and up to look at something when I was swallowing and choked and coughed a bit. Later that day is when I first noticed this dull pain when swallowing food - not liquid - especially hard food like meat. The pain went away after a couple days but came back yesterday, but it gone today.

It's only on 1 side, right side, inside my throat, next to Adam's apple.

I've read online - and esophageal cancer comes up- and scares me.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Online information always scares.
Cancer gives pain in the last stages and if would have been present you would have difficulty in swallowing, change in voice, blood in expectoration and so on.
You have a history of looking up while swallowing cereal, this indicates the muscle spasm that caused and is still causing you the pain.
Please take the medicines and follow the advise as given above.