What causes dull pain all along the shoulder blade?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I dislocated my shoulder after a fall off a fence. My arm was above my head an fell hitting a bin on the way down. It was put back in, in emergency approximately 6 hours later.
Treatment was to keep immobilised in a sling for 5 days, then the next 4-5 days was gradually increase movement with using the sling to rest it. After 2 weeks now doing ROM exercises and using the arm normal except for heavy lifting or overhead movements.
Now 4 weeks on there still pain in my a long the length of my upper arm, but also increasing amount of aching dull pain right along the bottom edge of the shoulder blade. The shoulder in the past 2 weeks seems to have dropped noticeably looking about 4 cm's (1.5 inches) lower than the other. ( both the top of shoulder and bottom of shoulder blade) Is that normal for a dislocation? I have normal sensations in the arm just the arm feels heavy all the time.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be normal after dislocation.

Detailed Answer:
The dull aching pain along the shoulder blade can be a muscular pain. The dropping of the shoulder can be due to disuse atrophy of the muscles as you are not doing any overhead movement. The feeling of heaviness can be due to a mild nerve compression due to the dislocation. All these are likely to recover on their own gradually.
But you can get an MRI scan of the shoulder done to detect any tears in the ligaments or any other soft tissue abnormality.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 days later
Thank you for your reply.
What whould be a reasonable time frame to expect to have pain free movement?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually it takes 4-6 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It takes 4-6 weeks for the soft tissue injury to heal after a dislocation. You will have a pain free movement with the help of proper physiotherapy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T