What causes dry cough, constipation and dizziness?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i have AFIB and have had the heart halter twice, cardioversion (2), taken Cartia XT 180 mg. Metropolo tartrate 50 mg, Atenolol 25 mg, Sotalol 80 mg and now Amiodarone HCL 200 mg twice a day. My heart is still irregular and the Amodarone makes me feel sick so much that I can't go to work. I also take high blood pressure medicine, thyroid and high cholesterol medicine. I feel worse than before I started all of the treatments from my cardiologist. My cardiologist said that I should have another cardioversion. The first two lastest for only about a week for a regular heart beat. Now what is bothering me most is COPD symtoms. I am breathless most of the times doing anything, a dry cough, constipation, vision loss, dizzi9nes and lightheadedness. I felt sick for two days in the last 5 days and stayed home and did nothing-had no appetite--did hurt?? I am on oxygen at night. Do you have any suggestions for my treatment?
Thank you, XXXXXXX xxxxx, YYYY@YYYY , 970-749-0205
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
One of the very important thing i want you to know first is that a irregular heart with a controlled heart rate (<110/min) is equivalent to regular heart rate. So if it is still not reverting to sinus rhythm, you should only think of controlling the heart rate.
Also you are taking different medication of same class which is generally not indicated.
Metoprolol, Atenolo & sotal belong to same class (beta blocker). I'll recommend taking Tab Metolar XR 50mg twice daily which can gradually be increased to 100mg twice daily despite taking different medication.
Coming to COPD, it can easily be treated by bronchodilators ( in form of oral drug & nebulization). Steroid can be added if the chest is too bad. So you have personally meet a pulmonologist to see the chest & than start treatment accordingly.
Blood thinner has to be continued life long for A Fib & clots in lung.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 17 hours later
Thank you, Dr. Maheshwari, so much for your reply to my email about my health issues. I really appreciate your response and will be seeing my cardiologist tomorrow and will show her (Dr. XXXXXXX Kim) your report. I am so happy to be able to correspond with you or other doctors.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX xxxxxxxxxx, Reference
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you very much

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr xxxxxx,
Thanks for the kind words.
It was a pleasure interacting with you.
If you have any more question in future, I'll be happy to help you.
If your current query is answered, you can choose to close the discussion.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy