• question-icon

What causes dry cough and sore throat in a child?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi, My 7 year old has had pain above his eyebrows for over a week. The pain was only really bad one night. He currently has a sore throat and dry cough. About a week ago he had swimmers ear, but his ears seem okay now. Would the pain above his eyebrows be related to the cold? His doctor wants me to take him to an eye doctor.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The pain can be due to cold

Detailed Answer:
Hello

there can be 2 causes for the pain.
the first one is due to sinusitis, which generally occurs following a cold and can be managed with pain killers and steam inhalation.

the second reason may be due to refractory error of the eyes, for which you must show him to an eye doctor. the doctor will check the vision and prescribe the glasses if required

for the time being just ask your son to take steam inhalation thrice a day and tablet paracetamol for the pain.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist