What causes dizziness while bending downwards?

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: i woke up and upon sitting up i lost my equilibrium. i froze and laid back down. after a few minutes i slowly sat up and minimized the feeling of dizziness. i have experimented with bending over. if i do so slowly the symptom is minimal. being 79 years of age and being less than active, i feel it may be counteracted by increasing my physical activities. i have spinal stenosis which over the last year has resulted in swollen feet.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
BPPV, Cervical spondylosis, heart disease

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Would you please clarify a few things for me?
-what is your height and weight?
-do you have any other medical issues like hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, Thyroid hormone imbalances?
-do you smoke or consume some alcohol? Did you have any drinks last night?
-do you take any medications other than aspirin? Any changes in medications recently?
-is this the first time you felt giddy?
-you mentioned spinal stenosis. At what level is it? Any cervical spondylosis?
-describe your current level of activity? Do you work?

Based on your symptoms I would like to rule out cervical spondylosis, cardiovascular disease and benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv).

I recommend :
-a physician and otorhinolaryngologist consult
-an electrocardiogram and an echocardiogram to check for heart function
-an x-ray of the chest and cervical spine
-blood tests (complete blood count, TSH, kidney and liver function tests, lipid profile, blood glucose panel, electrolytes)

Based on the above test results, clinical findings and answers to the above queries, I could help you further.

The fact that bending made you feel better suggests compromise in blood flow to your brain.

I urge you to seek medical attention right away. Subtle signs are often a warning,especially when it Occurs suddenly .
In the meantime stay well hydrated (unless you have medical reasons to restrict water intake that your doctor told you).
Don't make sudden movements or turn or change position. Do it slowly and gradually. Avoid driving or operating any machinery.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj