What causes dizziness, tinnitus and sinus congestion?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My husband is experiencing dizziness, tinnitus, and sinus congestion, most markedly dizziness, for several days now. Worst in the morning but not gone by evening. He has had these episodes before lasting a week or less usually. He uses an electronic cigarette but was a smoker for 25 years
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs detailed ENT examination, antibiotics and betahistine

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what your husband had to go through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems like some underlying problem like benign positional vertigo, or other inner ear problems which might have been triggered by an acute attack of sinusitis or upper air ways infection as that can transmit to ears through eustachian tube and the pressure symptoms can elevate the underlying symptoms.

He needs to be reviewed by an ENT specialist in detail and may need to be started on antibiotics after Xrays Paranasal sinuses and basic blood work ups. If problem seemed severe he may need to have a CT scan to look for extension of sinuses infection. Some maneuvers might be done during examination like epley's maneuver to confirm any problems relating to inner ear.

In such cases after some basic metabolic profile blood screens like blood sugars, electrolytes,blood pressures, ECG etc to rule out other causes of dizziness, he may be started on betahistine which increases flow to inner ear and may be aided with prochlorperazine.

Wishing him a quick recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T