• question-icon

What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Head Injuries
Question: I hit my head when I fell asleep, while sitting on the toilet, and hit the frontal region of my head against a concrete floor. I now have a headache and nauseated. I am a 52 year o!d women with a history of MS. Do I have a concussion?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
definitely possible, most recover in 48 to 72 hours

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

With a history of headache and nausea, you likely have a concussion (mild traumatic head injury).
Other symptoms that may occur include dizziness, loss of memory, vomiting, memory loss.

There are criteria called New Orleans criteria for determining if CT is needed after minor head injury . If one or more of these are present and there is also a history of loss of consciousness/memory loss or very dizzy,then a CT should done.
(1)headache
(2)vomiting
(3)age older than 60
(4)drug and alcohol use
(5)seizures
(6)loss of short term memory
(7)visible trauma above clavicle

This means that if you loss consciousness, have memory loss or felt disoriented, then you should see your doctor for CT scan to be done

Most persons with mild traumatic head injury/concussion, recover within 48 to 72 hours, if this does occur then you may need reassessment

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James