What causes dizziness and nausea after stopping Paxil intake?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking 20 mg of Paxil for the past 60 days. I stopped taking it and now have a seasick dizzy feeling, some nausa and a stiff neck on the left side. I assume these are withdrawal symptoms. I was also starting to gain weight (about 15 lbs) so I wanted to stop the Paxil. Just in a weeks time of stopping, I've lost 5 lbs. Are these symptoms normal and how long will they last?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Paxil (SSRI type antidepressant) should not be stopped suddenly. The dosage should be lowered gradually so the quitting process can take few months. Otherwise you will have terrible withdrawal symptoms like those you have right now. This can get even worse. Such symptoms usually last few weeks. Mentioned by you symptoms are typical for SSRI discontinuation.

So if you made this decision by your own (without consulting your doctor), please get back to regular dosage and discuss with your doctor about how to gradually quit Paxil.

If this decision was made by your doctor, please let him know about the side effects you have right now. He should advise you to take low dosage of Paxil what should help with the symptoms you have.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.