What causes diabetic neuropathy in an elderly man?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: my dad is struggling with mobility and has been for approximately 6 weeks. we have been to the GP and he suspects dad has diabetic neuropathy. Can we reverse this in any way to gain any mobility back. Dads legs just buckle underneath him and this al l happened literally overnight
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibility of only diabetic neuropathy is less likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Diabetic neuropathy usually occurs after5-10 years of diabetes.
Acute onset weakness may not be due to diabetic neuropathy and other causes to be suspected.
It can be due to stroke, lesions in spinal cord or plexus involvement.
He needs to be examined in detail by a neurologist and get investigated accordingly.
Control of blood sugar is utmost importance.
Recovery is likely if diagnosis is established.
Is there any speech changes, dysphagia, upper limb weakness, sensory loss, urinary complains,?
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back with further details.
Dr Deepti XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 20 minutes later
it is defo neuropathy emg studies mri scan and otger tests have come back as neuropathy so what can we do to reverse it or cant we
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes control and physiotherapy should be done

Detailed Answer:
In case diabetic neuropathy is confirmed diagnosis then treatment is basically strict control of diabetes.
Physiotherapy is to be continued regularly.
Gabapentin can be given for pain.
Improvement is slow and not complete .
Acute weakness in lower limbs is not a feature of diabetic neuropathy.
Dr Deepti XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 43 minutes later
It has happened over several months its legs collpasing that happened overnight sorry for the confusion. Although recovery not complete we can get dad better than he is? How do we stop legs collapsing
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Improvement will occur with diabetes contol and physiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
In case the weakness is gradual onset then possibility of diabetic neuropathy is to be considered if other investigations are normal.
Diabetes control improves neuropathy to some extent and stop further progression.
Physiotherapy is also important.
Some drugs like benfomet plus and epalristat also helps in diabetic neuropathy.
Dr Deepti XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak