• question-icon

What causes delayed menstruation and negative pregnancy test?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question:
Hi doctor XXXXXXX I hope you are well. Doctor, I was using contrapectoves but I have not got my period. I am always on time 27/28 day cycle. Today is the 30th day. Could I be pregnant? I did a pregnancy test it came negative. Or could it be just hormones all over the place that's why I didn't get my periods. After my delivery I was getting my periods on time every 28 days and also he's not breastfed,. I tried a lot but he just doesn't want he screams. I'm just thinking what if I'm pregnant again? Is it too early to take a test now?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat test after a week

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear yes it can be an early pregnancy and too early to test.
Can you tell me which contraceptive you have been taking so far?
Just wait for another week and repeat the test to see for pregnancy otherwise you will need progesterone withdrawal of periods
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 44 minutes later
Hi been using condoms. Ok thanks doctor for your help. I dont know what to expec. Been reading on google many ladies getting pregnang straight after birth. If i had to get a blood test today done? (Day 31) would it show? Sorry doctor for so many questions just that i cant think straight i need to know where i stand. Is it worth taking a blood today?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can get blood test

Detailed Answer:
You can get the blood test if it can be done easily as it is confirmatory but may not detect the pregnancy still if it is too early
So better just wait for a week and see
All the best
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Ok cool il wait for a week and see. WhAtever is Allah (god) wish. Thanks doctor for always giving a quick response and always being there. Uv been a great help from the start. Although in my first pregnancy i found out two days from my missed period. But i reckon because iv had a baby it could show later this time around

What could be the other cause of not getting a period? Would it be hormonal imbalance?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry generally

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome dear
Most common cause is post delivery there is disturbed hormone balance but it can be thyroid problems, weight gain issues and stress
So in general all are petty issues except thyroid
But since you are taking thyroxine and also have normal thyroid levels so just wait for a week and let's see.
All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN