What causes cyst in pancreas?

Question
Pancreas had a diffusely coarse echotexture with mild honey combing, particularly in the head.there was 9mm cyst in the head of the pancreas and a adjacent 3mm. Both thin walled, without mural nodule, or calcification.side branch IPMN appearing.Also there is an unknown 8mm lesion in the tail of the pactreas.
Visuallized part of the right and left lobe of liver had mildly hyperechoic texture.
What is all this mean! My GI doctor just said you are fine see you in a year. None of this sound fine to me. Can you explain, please!
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I know these terms can be disturbing and more so when no proper explanation was given and the reasons for saying they do not represent disease conditions detailed out.

In all, a cyst is a fluid filled cavity. Unless they get big in size and cause problems linked to space, they have no big concern. Their sizes are minimal and should not be of any concern at this time. For the unidentified mass at the tail of the pancreas, I cannot tell for sure whether it could be concerning or not. However, I would want to believe that you doctor factored in your clinical state of health and other findings like absence of mesenteric lymph nodes to conclude on these being no reasons to get worried. This also holds true for the liver findings.

Though I may not use the exact same terms, I will suggest that there is nothing to get worried about at this time. Monitoring would tell whether these lesions represented an ongoing pathological process but are clearly not at this time.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.