What causes constipation in a person with hemorrhoids?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Good afternoon, Dr. My son is 17 yrs and has a hx of rectal bleeding. Having had multiple colonoscopy's, manometry etc. He has had a hemorrhoidectomy and had various DX's ranging rom rectal proplapse to hemorrhoids. He confessed to me that for the last year, he feels he cannot have a bowel movement unless he manually pushes in that area. He said he sometime will actually take toilet paper and actually insert into his rectum because it relieves the symptom of fullness, etc. Where do I start to try and get him help. He's very open to help but wants to understand why he has this desire? Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Constipation is the main cause...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the health situation your son is in.

1. One of the most common causes to hemorrhoids is constipation.
Medications he might be using recently should also consider.

2. You are saying that he has had multiple tests including colonoscopy and manometry, and others. Can you please provide the reports so I can assist you specifically?

3. The very first thing is to avoid constipation:
- encourage to drink plenty of water
- have foods high in fiber
- increase physical activity
- take gentle laxatives including lactulose
- psyllium or other fiber supplements can also help
- have more foods that would induce bowel movements such as pear, kiwi, green leaf, plums, etc.
- Avoid those foods that would slow down the bm such as banana, yogurt or other dairies.

4. Having the symptom of fullness is related to constipation and difficulty in passing the motion. The stool is being kept inside the bowels for long time, thus, he would feel full.

Once constipation is correctly treated, he won't have such problems anymore.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist