• question-icon

What causes constant soreness in the arm after receiving Pneumococcal vaccine?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: I received a pneumonia vaccine a month ago, and my arm is still so sore, it is difficult to extend it. I have tried Tylenol, Advil and aspirin to alleviate the pain, but none of those seems to have any effect. Should I try cold or hot compresses next? And.., why is this happening? I have never had a problem with any vaccine before.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Known side effect

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but pneumonia vaccine is well known to cause the side effect of soreness at the site of injection and can even lead to immobilization of the adjacent joint in some patients . this will go away eventually. I would recommend cold compresses on the site of injection with the application of voltaren gel three times daily and nifedipine gel once before going to bed to improve the healing process. I hope I answered your question .if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Are these gels you recommend OTC?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Voltaren gel is mostly an OTC only

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, voltaren gel in most countries is an otc medication but Nifedipine gel will require a prescription.

I hope you find this helpful

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman