• question-icon

What causes constant pain at the top of the head and neck soreness?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My head on top is in a lot of pain. Like a bad sunburn. And almost tingly pain. Neck behind ears also very tender. One side of my head has small buumps. The other not so much. This has been getting worse over the last 3 days. It's more painful on the left and top of my head.,neck is sore as well
Male 56 years old. With very thin hair.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tension type headache more likely

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from the description of the pain, the most likely cause would be a tension type headache. It is the most common type of primary headache (primary meaning without an identifiable cause), often triggered/exacerbated by stress and anxiety. It is commonly associated by abnormal scalp sensations such as the burning one you describe and irradiated in the neck with increased tension of the head and neck muscles. Best medication to alleviate it would be over the counter Ibuprofen 400-600 mg.

Other possibilities would include infections or brain issues such as stroke, but I wouldn't call it likely for the characteristics of the pain and lack of other manifestations. However if Ibuprofen seems to have no effect then it would be prudent to head to the ER to check for presence of any other neurological signs you might have missed and maybe some routine blood tests to screen for infections.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
I really don't feel it's a headache. As I don't have pain except on my scalp. I took an antiinflamatory right after my initial question and it got better for me to seep a few hours. I woke up I have no headache but pain is still there as well as ringing of the ears. There are some bumps like a pimple in size on my scalp as well.
My coordination and reasoning is off a little. Only enough as to say I don't feel normal
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional information. Fortunately such scalp sensations in the lack of headache as well as those bumps you mention drive the possibilities even further from the brain. The brain is located behind the thick skull and whether there is any lesion or not it doesn't manifest that way, doesn't anatomically correlate with any brain region or with the coordination and reasoning issues you mention. So I would feel reassured it is not a threatening brain issue.
I still believe symptoms are mainly due to increased scalp and neck muscle tension. Wouldn't be surprised if anxiety played a role, as it causes such tension as well as often associated with lightheadedness and concentration issues.
So I would relax and continue the anti-inflammatory medication. If persisting would check with primary physician or if he/she not available for possibility of infection.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist