What causes constant fever in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My son (2 yr old) had viral infection which continued for 3 days with high fever (until 103). We did certain blood tests to check for Dengue, but then thankfully it was a bacterial infection. He no longer has fever, however as his platelets count was quite high, my Ped suggested for antibiotics (Advent) which he is consuming 6ml twice a day from 14th Aug night. As he has severe cold and cough, he was also prescribed Relent plus which also he has started taking from 15th Aug morning. My concern is that though he doesnt have fever any longer (i.e from 15th morning) he is not active and always feels drowsy and wants to sleep. Is it because of the cold syrup or antibiotic? or is there something to worry. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cause to be concerned.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Perhaps you do not understand that Dengue is not necessarily worse, it merely requires a monitoring of platelet levels. A bacterial infection can be controlled with antibiotics like Advent but his drowsiness is indeed a cause for concern and calls for a deeper look. If I had a patient like him, I would have arranged for a lumbar puncture and a CSF analysis to rule out meningitis. You should immediately discuss with your treating physician about this.

A raised platelet count indicates inflammation or infection somewhere in the body.

Let me know if I could help further.