What causes choking sensation while breathing?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: My wife is diabetic and is taking diabetic control pills. She is also being administered LIVOSIL to treat fatty liver for 5-6 months. Doctor says her liver function is normal. But she is constantly experiencing choking in breathing and complain feeling like heart-beat in and around the liver and pancreas.

What tests can exactly diagnose the problem ?
What is your suggestion ?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
TWO DIMENSIONAL ECHO IS DIAGNOSTIC.

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir,
I have carefully gone through your concern,and would like to address the same.
As per your wife's clinical history,it becomes important to evaluate her cardiac status at the earliest.

Diabetic individuals are more prone to get macro vascular complications of the disease,due to metabolic stress imposed on the heart largely.The symptoms in her, currently point to congestive symptoms of a slowly progressing heart failure,quite rightly termed as Congestive Heart Failure.

If diagnosed and treated early ,it has excellent patient outcomes.This is my ultimate current suggestion to you.Following diagnostic interventions can have a positive impact in assessing her overall health status.

1.Two-dimensional Echocardiography.
2.A full 12 lead E.C.G/E.K.G
3.Blood sugar-fasting and post prandial.
4.HBIac or Glycated hemoglobin.
5.Tread mill testing, if needed under an expert cardiologist guidance.
6.Blood lipid profile.

The above tests form basic screening protocol to evaluate heart disease in diabetics.This theme can accurately diagnose the cardiac and other organ related issues and form basis for an early and effective treatment protocols,if rightly followed and interpreted.

I hope and wish this feedback from me is quite helpful and convincing to you,
Please feel free to post your further follow up queries if any,i shall feel humble to answer them as well.
Thank you.
Wish you a good health.
Dr.Suresh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 48 minutes later
Sir,

Should I write you back once these tests are done ?
Can you suggest me best medical care for this ?
Should I consult a diabetologist or heart specialist or any other specialist for the purpose after all the test reports are in hand ?

Kindly advice
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
kindly upload test reports for further assessment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir ,

Thanks for writing back to me,i feel concerned to address your queries.
You are highly welcome to post /upload all the test reports and images once they are done.This would help me to analyse her current cardiac status further and make my interpretation and in turn i can serve you better.

Sir these set of investigations should ideally be taken at any leading, well equipped,sophisticated diagnostic service centers locally available or at any well reputed tertiary health care centers like a large network based corporate or a teaching hospital.

yes, you should certainly consult both cardiologist and a diabetologist for further expert management in this case once you finish the investigative work up.For your ease I would like to suggest you the same cardiologist who performs the 2-dimensional echo and a TMT if necessary, to be consulted upon.

I hope my info is useful to you,
Please post further follow up queries if needed any,i shall answer.
Thank you,
Dr.Suresh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T