• question-icon

What causes burning sensation in the leg post a testosterone shot in the buttock?

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I just gave myself a testosterone shot in my right buttock but lower than usual. I’ve never had pain after giving myself injections for years, also a burning sensation all the way down my leg before. There is a red double line going down to my ankle. Is there anything to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sciatic nerve irritation

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but it seems that you have injected the shot too close to the sciatic nerve leading to its irritation and possible neuropathy.. I would recommend that you apply hot compresses for 20 minutes 4 times daily and take an anti-inflammatory medication as ibuprofen tablets every eight hours or declofenac once daily for a week.. if no improvement occur after a week then you will need to visit your doctor to get a prescription of corticosteroids to treat the neuropathy. I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman