Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes burning pain in the penis ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I have been feeling a burning kind of pain in my penis for sometime now. it seems like I have to urinate more often. I used some over the counter medicine thinking that I had a urinary tract infection. it seemed to help a little but it did not cure it. I also feel pain and discomfort after I ejaculate. can you tell me what the problem is?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 days later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You have currently reported that you have experienced pain and burning with urination as well as with ejaculation. There are a couple of categories of medical issues which could be causing this.

The first category would be that of a Urinary tract infections typically caused burning with urination as well as increased frequency of urination during the day. This is sometimes associated with fever and lower abdominal cramping.

The second category would be bad of a sexually transmitted infection including chlamydia and gonorrhea. If you feel you at had some type of exposure recently this is something you certainly want to be tested for.

I think at this point it is necessary for you to have a complete urinalysis performed and it is possible that you may need an antibiotic. This is something that your primary care provider would certainly be capable of handling.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this question I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor