• question-icon

What causes body tremors while on Gabapentin?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: 17 yrs old son having body tremors. He has autism,non verbal, epilepsy. He takes gabapentin for self injury behaviors a cycle that will pass. Also takes respiradone, clonazapane. It is so hard to take him to the ER .he was inpatient for 30 day for the self injury behaviors in April. The put him on simbalta for mood disorder when he returned home we noticed the tremors in his legs and discontinued use after 10 day of that med. tremors did stop. But today the are very hard, can see them start in legs and go up to his chest. He is not disorientation in any way and is responding to questions. So I don't believe it is a seizure. This has been happening every few minutes for a couple hours now.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medication Induced tremor

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

The tremors your son is experiencing is most likely to be drug induced caused by Antipsychotic medication. He is currently on antipsychotic risperidone, which causes such tremor.
These tremors can be controlled by switching to another second generation/newer antipsychotic like quietapine, XXXXXXX etc.
Anticholinergic medications like trihexyphenidyl or benzatropine can also be used in controlling the tremors if switching medication alone does not work.

Please be advised to follow up with a Psychiatrist to discuss this possibility and appropriate management.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 29 minutes later
Ty. I just took his temp, 101, he is just mining I think he has the flu or somthing on top of the tremors. Got him up to use bathroom seem like he can barely walk on his own. Just went back to bed gave tylenol
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
You're welcome.

If your son is experiencing fever and difficulty walking along with the tremors, it is important to undergo evaluation as soon as possible, as he is on anti psychotic.
Anti psychotic like risperidone can cause fever associated with muscle problems called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS).
Blood investigation like Creatine kinase levels is required to rule out NMS and it is always safer to rule out NMS while on antipsychotic with fever.

Please be advised to follow up with the emergency room/urgent care .

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal