What causes blue color of skin and high fever?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi, our baby boy born with normal weight and was healthy except his tongue color is slightly black.Next day he was immunized with bcg/hepatitis injection, that day he was having red rashes all over body and both baby and his mother body temperature XXXXXXX slightly higher. Thereafter next day baby slept with mother and after few hours when we checked the baby, his body color changes to blue and was not breathing/dead.we donot know the reasons for same, is it due to congenital heart disease/asphyxiation/b group meningitis or some other reason.Also His blood group was b positive and wife group is b negative and this was our first baby.kindly help us to find the reasons
Answered by Dr. Arun 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be congenital heart disease

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.

From your description it looks like your baby had congenital heart disease more likely than asphyxiation.

The reason I am saying is that you mentioned that baby's tongue was slightly black on day of birth.
This could be a sign of congenital cyanotic heart disease.

Meningitis is less likely I presume but cannot be ruled out completely without a spinal tap after death.

Asphyxiation too is seen in babies what we call as sudden infant death syndrome.
But my possibility is more towards congenital heart disease.

You can plan next pregnancy in a year.

I would advice you to go through repeated ultrasound scanning and fetal echo for next pregnancy. Amniotic fluid can also be tested if needed to rule out major chromosomal anomalies.

Hope I answered your query.
Am glad to help more.

Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Arun 32 minutes later

Thnks sir, but level 2 u/s was done and it showed no abnormality in heart . Moreover baby movements were somewhat jerky, we have seen sudden jerks while sleeping and while lying on back he turns on one side (can't imagine a 2day old baby can do this). No autopsy was done.
Keeping the mind the said symptoms, kindly recommend tests/scans needed for future pregnancy to rule out the same and also tell the basic tests needed for healthy pregnancy and baby
2) is there any relation between clomid/adova and CHD as as wife had taken same before concieving
3) as we have suffered huge loss of baby, my wife needs next baby as soon as possible, kindly advice us minimum time gap between c section and next concieving.Is 3 months sufficient for uterus healing?
Answered by Dr. Arun 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:
1. The jerks could be due to a. hypoxia due to heart disease ( even level2 ultrasound may be inadequate except fetal echo) b. asphyxia or c. meningitis
As autopsy or spinal tap was not performed there is no way now to point to diagnosis.
. For next pregnancy , Do monthly ultrasounds , fetal echo, first trimester screening and amniocentisis.

2. Clomid is ok, but adova can cause severe fetal damage including CHD
3. Ideally a years gap would be better for your wife. 3 months is too short.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Arun 6 hours later
is hcg shots okey for planned baby without clomid ...
Answered by Dr. Arun 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:
Hcg injections have shown adverse effects in animal studies on forelimbs and central nervous system if taken during pregnancy.
Before pregnancy it is fine but not once you confirm it. But if confirmation is delayed and if your wife is on Hcg then it might affect the new fetus.
Better not to take in my opinion.

Follow up: Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Wife concieved with adovahcg shot because her folicles were not growing to required size as told by specialst who monitor the same. we were desparate for baby so after trying naturally for two-three cycles we opted this as we were not able to judge ovaluation.
wife age is 26 and my age is 30.kindly guideprovide safe tips for concieving naturally and forced.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
try naturally or IUI

Detailed Answer:
I would advice you to try naturally or opt for IUI if timing cannot be determined.
Here are a few tips..
Studies have shown that the most fertile period in a woman’s cycle are the five days leading up to ovulation. If you expect to ovulate soon, this is peak babymaking season.

As ovulation approaches, your cervix tends to rise up in your vagina, soften, and open slightly. Although it feels firm like the tip of your nose at the start of your menstrual cycle, by the time you’re ready to ovulate, it feels soft and fleshy like your lips. You can monitor this particular fertility sign yourself.

If your menstrual cycle longer or shorter than 28 days, chances are, you won’t ovulate on Day 14. Ovulation typically occurs 14 days before the start of the next menstrual cycle—not 14 days after the end of the last one.
Folic acid should be taken daily before conception itself.
You both are in perfect fertile phase. Awaiting natural conception for a year should definitely click.
Artificially IUI should be helpful without risks but wait for a year .
Nothing is safer than natural conception.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju