What causes blood in urine?

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I noticed that I had some hematuria yesterday, with no symptoms of uti, so had UA done today....hemoglobin was 3+, and RBCs were >60.........I am on warfarin for a fib, my INR was 2.59 today...what is this elevated level indicate?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to Hemorrhagic cystitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been taking Warfarin for atrial fibrillation and had Hematuria yesterday and routine urine test revealed presence of 60 RBC and INR to be 2.59.

What is your INR levels ?(Before you had this episode of hematuria)

This is most likely to be due to hemorrhagic cystitis that is common in individuals who are blood thinners like warfarin.

Your INR which is reported to be 2.59 is within normal range but if it is raised in comparison to your routine levels it suggests bleeding tendency which is the cause for your hematuria..

Consult your cardiologist to explore whether Warfarin can be hold on for couple of days till your hematuria stops .

Drink more water to keep urine dilute .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 7 minutes later
I have been on warfarin for many years with no hematuria...INR results gave bounced around, usually low rather than high, which is why I take 10 mg 6 days weekly, 7.5 mg once weekly...is this >60 rbc's a day and hemoglobin 3+ a significant elevation?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to consult Cardiologist to adjust the dose of Warfarin .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.Normally no RBC are detected in routine urine test .A count of >60 RBC and Hemoglobin 3+ is significantly high and abnormal. Hence you need to consult your cardiologist either to explore whether Warfarin can be withheld for couple of days and/or to adjust the dose of Warfarin .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist