• question-icon

What causes blood in stool?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am seeing bright red blood in stool. I have no other symptoms. Looks like there is a slight tear, which I am not sure. Other that red blood in stool, I have no other issues
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fissure in Ano most likely

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query on HealthcareMagic,

I do understand your concern.

With such presentation in my clinic, I would first rule out anal fissure by doing a physical examination of the anal region only.

If confirmed, you may be advised conservative treatments like eating a high-fiber diet, drinking plenty of fluids and do regular exercise and if the pain is there you can take sitz bath 3 times a day.

Regarding medication, you can try prescription medication [Nitroglycerin rectal ointment].

Hope that helps
Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 12 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your update XXXXXXX
Could you please let me know if I can get [Nitroglycerin rectal ointment] in cvs or Walgreens? I tried checking online and closest one I could get is Forces of Nature Fissure Control.
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/forces-of-nature-fissure-control/ID=prod0000-product

If this is not the one, could you please provide me the link where I could get this?
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fissure in Ano

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your quick reply

As per your link provided, it is a different product. You can get it any drug store and it is available as [Rectiv-0.4%]brands.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 10 minutes later
I tried checking online in cvs and Walgreens and I could not get it. Could you please let me know if I need to check in any specific drug store?
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Generic name -Glyceryl trinitrate

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up reply

“As” per your reply please ask your local drug store about [Glyceryl trinitrate 0.4%] and if it is not available then ask [lidocaine + nifedipine] combined cream for anal fissure.

Hope that helps

http://www.yyyyyyys.com/pyyyyyyptions/yyyyyyyyy/ointment-30g

http://www.yyyyyyyy.com/pyyyyyyyyys/yyyyyyy/cream-30gm
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo