• question-icon

What causes elevated blood glucose levels after taking Dexamethasone-Lidocaine injection?

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I had injections yesterday (12/11/17 at approximately 1:30 p.m.) called facet cervical via medial branch block bilateralc3-c4, bilateral c4-c5 and bilateral c5. The medication used was Lidocaine and Dexamethasone. At 1226 am(12/12/17 I checked my glucose and it read 411. I checked again at 1236 am and it read 389. The doctor told me that my glucose would increase. an gradually go down. Am I in any danger at this point?
Symptoms: The only symptom I have is very slight sweating.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About Diabetes induced by corticosteroids;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
Of course while on treatment with corticosteroids the Diabetes treatment should be modified or started a few hours after the injection.
If you haven't been diagnosed with Diabetes ( the glucose level has been XXXXXXX before the injection) you need only one injection for treatment, than the glucose levels will get back to normal within 24-48 hours.
Otherwise you need to see a physician to start treatment.
Try to drink plenty of water and monitor the blood glucose before and after food for 48 hours.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 24 hours later
I am not on any medications for diabetes. When you mention "only one injection for treatment", what type injection are you referring to?

As of 1042 a.m., my glucose reading is 185.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About glucose level:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!

I meant to say the corticosteroid injection. If the treatment with corticosteroids will continue, then you need to see a Diabetologist to get treatment for Diabetes.

If you needed only one-day treatment, then monitor the blood glucose because it should get back to normal within 2-3 days.

Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist