What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
I am 32 male and found blood on tissue paper last week which concerned me but there was no pain. After a few days, I found more blood on the tissue after passing stool. From last two days, I am seeing bright blood string/line on the stools. It pains a little all the time now. I feel strain on anus. I have not experienced constipation. Could you give information on what it could be. Is this hemorrhoid or something else. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes Hemorrhoids

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Yes , you have hemorrhoids. It is evident from the pictures you have posted.

Some of the causes of bleeding per rectum are hemorrhoids, fissure, polyps, colitis etc.
Though you have hemorrhoids which could be the cause for the bleed, other causes should also be ruled out. You need to undergo a sigmoidoscopy test for that.

Consult a Gastroenterologist for that test.

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 hours later
Thank you for the information. Are there any different levels/stages of hemorrhoids. Do my pictures indicate any severity level. Can you tell me what kind of treatment is required and how long does it take to cure it. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
There are different grades of hemorrhoids.
But grading the hemorrhoids looking at the picture is not the right thing to do.

All I can say is you are not having the most severe form.

You need to take fiber supplements.
But as suggested earlier, you need to undergo sigmoidoscopy test to rule out other causes of bleeding.

Dr.R.K