What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am a 50 year old male and have been having blood in the stool for some time, red and black. also I have fatigue, weight loss, depression and hair loss. I am wanting to know what it may be caused from as I cant get in to see a Doctor till Oct. 28th hear. I have COPD and I smoke.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have to be investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Red coloured Blood in the stools can be due to piles, polyp in the colon etc.
Black coloured stool can be due to altered blood which was leaked in the stomach or duodenum.
All the symptoms can be attributed to the blood loss and anaemia.

You should consult your doctor and get checked. You should get Upper GI Endoscopy to rule out bleeding ulcer/ulcer in upper gut and Colonoscopy to rule out colonic lesion like polyp etc. Investigations will clarify the problem.

I prescribe Proton pump inhibitor like Rabeprazole to my patients with similar complaints. Avoid spicy food and please take plenty of liquids and high fiber diet.
Nothing to worry. If you come back after investigations, I will clarify further.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj