• question-icon

What causes blood in stool after having warfarin?

Posted on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello, I'm 38 years old and have blood in my stool. Last year I under went a colonoscopy and the doctor told me it was just an infection. The infection did go away after a few months but later on last year my spleen burst and I under went surgery, a few days after surgery I had a blood clot in my upper lung, my doctor put me on Warfarin for 6 months. Once I completed the cycle of warfarin I notice little bits of blood in my stool again. That was just a few weeks ago but now I've noticed more blood and my bowl movements haven't been big or solid. I did feel kinda sick like, feverish, faint like, gassy, and on Tuesday XXXXXXX 17th I had bad diareha. I'm feeling fine but my bowl movements aren't the same, still bright red blood.. My question is; Is it because my body came off warfarin after 6 months and is adjusting?? OR is it something much worse?? I have too say this all started when I came off of the warfarin...
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As Warfin side effects is bleeding (especially if INR is higher than 2,5), you should rather have bleeding when on Warfin and the bleeding should stop after quit taking it.
So most likely this bleeding is not related with Warfin intake in the past.
Blood in stool can be caused by infection (blood is usually mixed with stool and there is a mucus in it). Hemorrhoids or rectal fissure can also cause blood in stool (blood is usually on the surface of the stool).
As you have general symptoms of infection, this seems the most probable reason of your bleeding. I suggest you to consult your doctor and have stool test and stool culture test done. Antibiotic treatment seems necessary.
If this wont help with the bleeding, another colonoscopy and angio-CT should be considered.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Thank you for your advice. Yes I have noticed a level of mucus and blood at the surface of my stool.. I'll consult my family doctor and ask for an RX for the infection since I already have a history of this type of infection.. What would cause this kind of rectal infection??... I forgot to add that when I went off of the warfarin my last INR was 3.9.. A week later I saw the antiquagulation doctor but they never took an INR reading following that high count... I've also noticed that I've become a bit constipated as well.. Should I try taking some laxitives??
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Such infection is usually caused by bacteria. The source of this infection can be in the food. Please note that some persons are less resistant for gastrointestinal infection. Usually it is caused by lack of natural intestinal bacteria in the digestive tract (those bacteria in normal conditions protect intestines against bad bacteria). That is why it is good to have yogurt daily or probiotic.
That INR is now a history. After stop taking Warfin, it gets back to normal after about a week.
Constipation can be also a symptom of bacterial infection (however diarrhea is more frequent). Laxatives are not a good idea as it may worsen bleeding.
Instead of it, please try to increase fiber rich products.

Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon